This webpage is currently used to help students navigate the immense work required to produce a thesis. If students wish to pursue this option, the student must elicit sponsorship from a faculty member to become their Thesis Advisor.
Students may brainstorm ideas with MCS Faculty Advisors but they are not required to be Thesis Advisors. It is highly recommended that students complete the MCS Honors in the Major program if they wish to pursue a thesis.
Student identifies if they have the time commitment for this thesis
- What quarters or academic year work best?
- Understand corresponding deadlines
- Will the student also enroll in a 199 independent study course?
- Look up Stanford’s Academic Calendar for open enrollment deadlines
- See step 5
- Will the student be applying to any awards based on thesis ex. Firestone medal?
- Will student be applying for funding? - See step 4
If applicable, student enrolls in the appropriate 199 Independent Study course under the sponsored faculty
- If approved, students can apply research and directed reading credit towards the 15 min for the Honors
- Students cannot receive funding for research and obtain university credit, must choose one or the other
Resources for research include:
- Research and Independent Projects
- Make an Appointment
- Writing a proposal
- Stanford Libraries
- Sapp Center for Science Teaching and Learning
- Technical Communication Program
Student may continue research for credit for thesis purposes
- Faculty must agree to continue sponsorship
- If approved, students can apply research and directed reading credit towards the 15 minimum for the Honors (only for students pursuing thesis)
- Units could be applied towards university unit requirements towards graduation. Student should contact Academic Advising to verify
Stanford websites, including all MCS program pages, may include hyperlinks to websites maintained or controlled by others. Stanford is not responsible for and does not routinely screen, approve, review or endorse the contents of or use of any of the products or services that may be offered at these websites.