MCS degree requirements
MCS is a multidisciplinary major sponsored by Stanford's Department of Mathematics, Computer Science, Management Science & Engineering and Statistics, providing students with a core of mathematics basic to all mathematical sciences.
- Undeclared students looking for an introduction to MCS may take Data Science 101 (STATS 101). If the MCS major is declared, STATS 101 may be used for elective credit toward the major.
- The student must have a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better in all course work used to fulfill the major requirement.*
- All courses used to fulfill major requirements must be taken for a letter grade with the exception of courses offered satisfactory/no credit only.
- Students who earn less than a 'C+' in STATS 116 Theory of Probability or STATS 200 Introduction to Statistical Inference must repeat the course.
- All students are required to take courses in each of the four core areas below.
Math core (4 - 7 courses, total units: 28)
Computer Science core (5 courses, total units: 22 - 24)
Management Science & Engineering core (2-3 courses, total units: 7 - 11)
Statistics core (3 courses, total units: 9 - 10)
WIM (1 course, total units: 3 - 4)
Choose 3 courses of at least 3 units each from the MCS program's offerings (100-level or above).
Courses must be from at least two different departments.