MCS MAJORS ONLY
International students who obtain a job offer (off-campus work) are required to apply for Curricular Practical Training in order to maintain legal status.
Employment must be directly related to your major. (Internship credit does not count towards the major requirements.)
The MCS major only allows students to file CPT in summer quarter.
If you have a paid internship or job lined up that takes place outside of Stanford, please do the following:
- Notify your adviser of the employment offer, type of work you'll be performing and start date. You must do this in sufficient time for your adviser to approve your CPT application!
- Employment must clearly be related to the student's field of study.
- Students should request from the employer an offer letter (on corporate letterhead) stating certain specifications of the job before submitting the CPT application.
- Enroll in MCS198 under your MCS adviser's section number (either 3 thru 6) - summer quarter only.
- Apply for CPT in Axess - You can submit on-line application form for CPT - as early as Axess allows you to enroll in CPT course for the quarter you are doing an internship, but no later than 5 days before your internship start date.
- Upon completion of your employment, submit 1 page* employment summary by the last day of the quarter.
- Research report outlining work activity, problems investigated, key results and any follow-up on projects.
*alternative arrangments must be made with adviser well in advance
Eligibility Requirements and Application Instructions:
Volunteering (F-1 status):
Enroll in MCS198: Practical Training
1 unit | Grading: Satisfactory/No Credit
Summer quarter only!