Apply to be a peer advisor! (2023-2024)
Dear Data Science and MCS Majors,
I hope you’re all doing well! It’s the time of year when we’re looking to hire next year’s Peer Advisors. I really hope you’ll consider this exciting opportunity!
Most of you have probably talked with a Peer Advisor at some point during your Data Science or MCS experience – they play an important role in our program. If you’d like to have an impact on the success of future majors and help build a thriving community of like-minded, talented, inquisitive students, we think you’d be a great peer advisor for the Data Science Program & MCS! In addition, the position would look great on your resume and/or graduate school applications.
Please read the job description below, and let me know if you have any questions. Also, feel free to drop in and see one of our current Peer Advisors to ask about their experience.
The Student Services Team
Peer Advisor Position Description
The Data Science & MCS majors seek 2-4 highly motivated students to be leaders amongst their fellow majors and community.
Under the guidance of the Data Science Program Student Services Officer, Peer Advisors will:
- Hold weekly office hours (about 2-3 hours per week) for prospective and current majors and minors in which you are available to offer student perspectives on courses, major requirements, and your academic experience.
- Attend weekly meetings with the student services team and other peer advisors to check in, learn from each other’s experience, and work toward goals that will help our program.
- Plan and organize program events for students, attend these events, and assist with set up and clean up.
- Be the student representative at campus-wide events including new student orientation and academic open house during admit weekend.
- Work on projects related to the program (e.g. help develop a list of research and internship opportunities for students).
- Act as the student representative and liaison among students, staff, and faculty.
- Report to and assist the student services team.
- Currently declared Data Science (B.S. or B.A.) or MCS Major who will be a junior or senior during the 2023-2024 school year.
- Passionate about building community, supporting fellow students, and improving the major as a whole.
- Able to work office hours, group meetings, and events as needed for the entire academic year.
- Strong knowledge of the program and its major requirements (and/or willingness to learn!)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self starter / independent learner and worker.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated record of leadership, maturity, mentoring/supporting fellow students, and academic excellence.
- Organized, dependable, and responsible.
Time Commitment: about 3-6 hours per week total, which includes:
- Required orientation/training session(s) at the end of summer or beginning of autumn quarter
- Weekly office hours (minimum 2 hours per week, can be split)
- Weekly peer advisor group meeting (1 hour per week)
- Program events
Compensation: Students will be compensated $20/hour for their work