Looking for Next Year's MCS / Data Science Peer Advisors!
Peer Advisor Position Description
The Data Science major (including MCS students who are already declared in the MCS major) seeks 2 - 4 highly motivated students to be leaders amongst their fellow majors and community.
Under the guidance of the Data Science Program Administrator, Peer Advisors will:
- Hold weekly office hours (about 2 hours per week; drop-in/remote) for prospective and current majors in which you are available to offer student perspectives on courses, major requirements, and your academic experience.
- Organize program events for students. Be the student representative at campus-wide events including majors’ night and academic open houses. Also be available to be at major program sponsored events.
- Coordinate student engagement projects.
- Manage student communications.
- Act as the student representative and liaison among students, staff, and faculty.
- Report to and assist the Student Service Officer.
- Currently declared MCS Major with Junior or Senior status as of Spring 2022 and/or Coterm student who conferred their MCS degree this year.
- Self-starter, motivated to help fellow students and improve major as a whole.
- Able to work office hours + events as needed for the entire academic year.
- No overseas study planned for 2022-2023 academic year.
- Strong knowledge of the program and its major requirements (and/or willingness to learn!)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Independent learner and worker.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated record of leadership, maturity, and academic excellence.
- Good organizational skills, dependable, responsible.
- Required Training Session - about 2 to 4 hours at the end of summer / beginning of Autumn Quarter
- Weekly Office Hours + Project time (about 2 to 4 hours): Hold minimum of 2 office hours per week (can be split) + meetings & events as needed.
- Be able to attend events such as Majors Night in October, Inside Academic Departments during Admit Weekend, etc.
Compensation: Students will be compensated $19/hour for their work
Please send resume to Amanda Kuhn at aekuhn [at] stanford.edu (aekuhn[at]stanford[dot]edu) by the end of the day on May 30, 2022.
We look forward to hearing from you and receiving your resume!