Skip to content Skip to navigation


Research for Credit:

This is an opportunity for students to engage in undergraduate research for credit as independent study. If students wish to pursue this option, the student must elicit sponsorship from a faculty member. Students who receive university credit for research cannot apply for funding.


  • Step 1: Student identifies hypothesis and topic of interest that they want to explore more in-depth, maybe first consider directed reading
  • Step 2: Student identifies if they have the time commitment for this research/project

          * Choose which quarter would work
          * Understand course enrollment deadlines (199 course & Stanford’s Academic Calendar [open enrollment])

          * Faculty can be outside of MCS but the topic should relate to the MCS (learning outcomes) of the program, might require approval through MCS Faculty Advisor

  • Step 4: Student enrolls in the appropriate 199 Independent Study course under the sponsored faculty

          * If approved, will accept a maximum of 3 units towards the MCS elective category or 3 units towards the 15 unit min for Honors
          * Be aware of deadlines outlined in Stanford’s Academic Calendar

  • Step 5: Resources for research:

          * Research and Independent Projects
                    - Assemble Your Research Toolbox
          * Make an Appointment
          * Stanford Libraries

                    - Research Support
                    - Stanford Digital Repository - Literature Reviews
                    - Meet Specialists -Get advanced research assistance in dozens of subject areas
          * Sapp Center for Science Teaching and Learning
          * Technical Communication Program
                    - TCP Frequently Asked Questions

  • Step 6: Student may continue research for credit for enrichment purposes

          *Faculty must agree to continue sponsorship
          * Student still may only apply a maximum of 3 units towards the MCS elective category, however units could be applied towards university unit requirements towards graduation. Student should contact Academic Advising to verify


Summer Research Programs (cannot request university credit):

This is an opportunity for students to engage in undergraduate research through an approved program or on their own, not for university credit. The student must elicit sponsorship from a faculty member or be accepted into an approved program. Students are eligible to receive funding towards their research (if approved) most programs provide funding in the form of a stipend.

Stanford Off-Campus Learning Opportunities - Research

  • Step 1: Identify type of program:

          * Undergraduate Summer Research in Statistics
          * Math - SURIM
          * CS - CURIS
                    - More information on research in CS
          * Energy - Also has SESUR, MUIR, and SURGE programs
          * Haas Center for Public Service - Community-Based Research
          * Engineering - REU
          * Engineering - SURF

          * Stanford Data Science for Social Good

          * Research Opportunities on Campus
                    - Some may be repeated
          * Stanford University Summer Research Programs
          * Global Studies Student Research
                    - Global Research Trips

  • Step 2: See if student meets the eligibility & requirements
  • Step 3: Take note of deadlines
  • Step 4: Apply to the approved program
  • Step 5: If applying for funding outside of an approved program: 

          * Explore Academic Advising Student Grants

          * Get Funded
          * Summer Grant Proposals
          * Global Research  - Funding For Students

  • Each of these opportunities represents significant time commitments and is intended to support a student’s unique full-time effort on a project.


Check out MCS Honors in the Program


Stanford websites, including all MCS program pages, may include hyperlinks to websites maintained or controlled by others. Stanford is not responsible for and does not routinely screen, approve, review or endorse the contents of or use of any of the products or services that may be offered at these websites.